Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Homemade Vanilla Extract


I love to bake. I use a lot of vanilla extract. Vanilla extract is EXPENSIVE. They come in tiny bottles and I use them up really fast. Which means... I buy lots of little tiny bottles of expensive vanilla extract.

I know that people make their own vanilla extract so I looked it up. It's SO easy. Why didn't I do this before!?!?

I decided to make my own vanilla extract. I mostly went off of this recipe.

All you need are some vanilla beans and vodka. This recipe calls for 1 cup vodka.


I decided to get Madagascar Vanilla Beans. There are lots of different kinds, so you can choose whatever one you want!


I cut my vanilla beans in half width wise and length wise.

I also read on various other recipes that you should scrape out the vanilla beans, so I did that with just 2 of the cut pieces.


Then, I put everything in a small mason jar (should've used a bigger one, but that's all I had).
It looks like there's no liquid in there, but I promise, it's filled to the top with vodka. :)

And that's it!!

I'm supposed to shake it every day and let the vanilla infuse into the vodka for at least a month. It's best after 2-3 months. I can't wait!!

As you use up this vanilla extract, you can just keep adding more vodka so you never run out! YES!!!! If the flavor seems to be not as strong, you add another cut vanilla bean. Easy peasy.

I've read several other recipes where you just use a bunch more vanilla beans and put them directly into the vodka bottle. So, you don't even need an extra container!


Homemade Vanilla Extract Recipe (adapted from Simply Notable)

Ingredients
3 whole vanilla beans
1 cup vodka

1. Cut the vanilla beans in half width wise. Then, cut them length wise.
2. Optional - Scrape out a few of the cut vanilla beans (I did 2 of them).
3. Put 1 cup of vodka and cut vanilla beans (and scraped out parts if you did) into a jar. The beans should be completely submerged.
4. Shake daily for at least 4 weeks. Vanilla extract will become better with time (2-3 months).
* Add more vodka and/or vanilla beans as you use it up.


I'll report back in a few weeks to let you know how it turned out! I'm so excited!!
Let me know if you decide to make your own vanilla extract, too!


Also... I'd love to know who's visiting here so come say 'hi' in the comments and follow me through Google Friend Connect! I would love to hear some ideas of green (frugal and eco-friendly) things I can do!


Quick Update!!
It's only been a little over 6 hours and here's what it looks like!





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...